Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Atresia Repair - Option or Not An Option?!?

Today, we received a phone call from Dr. #2 regarding the atresia repair surgery (inner ear reconstruction). And, the answer was the same as Dr. #1. Atresia repair surgery is not an option for Ryan. He scored a 4-4.5 in his right ear and a 5 in his left ear. Obviously a 40-50% chance of restoring hearing is not enough to justify the procedure or risk. This doctor was so nice and if anyone is looking for a good ENT in the state of Virginia, email me!! We are thankful that God has been so gentle with us along the way and that He has given us such great peace!! We will review this doctor's written report once we receive it and may ask a few questions as he did mention surgery for the purpose of wearing a traditional hearing aid. This door has closed and we will begin to walk down this next path of outer ear reconstruction. We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers that have gone out concerning Ryan and this particular surgery.

Friday, June 4, 2010


Ryan had his CT scan yesterday - check. He did an awesome job lying still considering he is an active little guy. They did not sedate him and I do not believe that it was even an option for them. I don't know what we would have done if he hadn't been so cooperative. He got a little upset when I told him that we had to take his BAHA for the test. I can't say I blame him. To have to go through a strange situation around huge equipment and not have your hearing to rely on would have probably thrown me over the edge. He knows that we are doing all these tests for his ears and that the doctors are going to give him "big ears". So, I believe that is why he has been so cooperative. We have never gone into the inner ear explanation, which is probably a good thing at this point, as we knew he would not be a concept he would grasp. So, whenever we go to an appointment now he wants to know if it is regarding his eyes or ears! So, the CT scan was yesterday and I picked up and mailed the disc and audiogram to Dr. #2 today. - check Whew!! Now we wait again. We hope to have some answers late next week - Side note: I made up that time and it is probably wishful thinking! It will be a wonderful feeling at least knowing what our options are or are not so that we can begin planning. Please remember another family this week as they travel to CA to begin their surgeries for their son with bilateral microtia and atresia!!